I have worked for a number of bosses (General Managers, Locker Room Managers and Tournament Directors) since my early days as a caddie to more recently managing the pros locker room during a professional golf tournament. Each one had certain managerial qualities which are summarized in the list below. These qualities instilled in me an increased respect for them and motivated me all the more.
WE should try to be the complete package, but to be honest, we all can have a bad day and fall short. Although not in order of importance nor considered complete, each is like a link in a chain.
1. Did not get angry at me and understood when I made a mistake.
2. Would let me know what was expected.
3. Gave me a second chance by rehiring me when I had personal problems.
4. Were fair and honest when it came to compensaton, splitting tips and the work load.
5. Accepted my apologies as I become more mature.
6. Respectfully asked my opinion and if I needed anything for the job.
7. Showed their appreciation with gifts.
8. Cared about me as a person.
9. Stood up for what was right.
10. Went above and beyond at times.